[OpenAFS] significant delay for afs user to login as root via su

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:19:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, ematlis@yahoo.com wrote:

> Also, when the su command finally completes, I noticed this:
>
> [ematlis@aerogold ~]$ su
> Password:
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> xhost:  unable to open display "localhost:10.0"
>
> The xhost thing is happening because I am automatically executing
> xhost +si:localuser:lp
> in a file in /etc/profile.d

We've seen this behaviour for years.  If you unset $DISPLAY the delay will
probably go away.  I believe it is timeout trying to access .Xauthority in
an AFS-homed account (whether or not your dot-files try to run any
X-related commands)

Richard

--
Richard Brittain,  Research Computing Group,
                    Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library