[OpenAFS] significant delay for afs user to login as root via su

Ken Hornstein kenh@pobox.com
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:44:39 -0400

>Are you using pam_afs_session? We've just discovered that when that is
>enabled in the su stack, becoming root takes a very long time, whether
>or not you have set the minimum_uid or not. The simple solution is to
>not run pam_afs_session in the 'su' stack.

I ran into this a while ago.  The problem we had (it may not be
your problem) is that there's a PAM thingy that wants to copy your
xauth file into the target user's home directory, and as part of
_that_ it wants to write some file into your home directory as part
of the xauth file locking but can't, and so it times out.  I think
it's called pam_xauth, or something like that.

--Ken