[OpenAFS] mac clients spotlight-indexing AFS

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 7 May 2010 16:02:13 -0400

Hi all,

we've experienced weird slowness issues on some macosx client machines.

We eventually traced it down to spotlight attempting to index afs;
adding /afs to the spotlight exclude list has fixed the problem.

It doesn't occur on all our machines, of different seemingly-identical
clients, some have the issue and some don't.

We'll see if we can track it down further, and will file a bug
with Apple.  Perhaps this helps someone.

Should the mac installer automatically add AFS to the spotlight exclude
list?  Obviously this sort of thing "should never happen," but explicitly
forbidding it doesn't seem like that bad an idea.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer
Internet2