[OpenAFS] AFS evaluation - Leopard client

Rick Cochran rcc2@cornell.edu
Mon, 17 May 2010 17:19:41 -0400

On 05/15/2010 09:37 AM, Derrick Brashear wrote:

>>> it doesn't require one. recent installers should also not say it does.
>>
>> Missed that. =EF=BF=BDBut which versions should I be using - the maint=
enance
>> releases which say "RECOMMENDED", or the features releases?

>>> fixed in 1.5.74. you want =EF=BF=BDthat or 1.5.74.1 anyway. not 1.5.7=
3, to be
>>> sure.
>>>
>>> Many more details on the mac client here:
>>> http://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/port-darwin/2010-February/001270.h=
tml

>> http://openafs.org/macos.html shows different versions of the AFS clie=
nt
>> for different versions of MacOS. =EF=BF=BDHow does a fix in 1.5.74.1 (=
for Snow
>> Leopard) help me with a problem in Leopard?
>
> I fixed your problem with the web page and with the lack of
> newer-than-1.5.73 for Leopard. Enjoy.

Thanks, but I don't see any changes at http://openafs.org/macos.html.

I did find=20
http://dl.openafs.org/dl/openafs/1.5.74/macos-10.5/OpenAFS-1.5.74.1-Leopa=
rd.dmg=20
by looking in http://dl.openafs.org/dl/openafs.

After installing (and restarting - just to make sure), I find I can now c=
lick=20
the "Shutdown" button in the Preferences OpenAfs panel as many times as I=
 want=20
without panicing the OS - a vast improvement.  Unfortunately, afsd never =
shuts down.

I now add my cell info to CellServDB using the Preferences OpenAfs panel.=
=20
/afs/afsdemo.cit.cornell.edu is still not there.

After another restart, /afs/afsdemo.cit.cornell is there.

Another question:  What considerations go into the decision as to how to =
answer=20
the question "Do you want to create the directory ~/Library/LaunchAgents"=
?

-Rick