[OpenAFS] Re: Prefered servers by subnet

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 19 May 2010 09:27:08 -0500

On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:08:04 +0200
"Assarsson, Emil" <Emil.Assarsson@sonyericsson.com> wrote:

> How do I make clients to select the closest servers when I'm using DNS
> AFSDB records?  Do I need to use "fs setserverprefs" on each client or
> can it be done automatically?

The algorithm on unix clients for automatically picking the "best"
servers is not very good, so explicitly setting the preferences is
generally what you need to do. There is work being done to improve it,
so this should not always be the case.

If you have a lot of clients that need the same preferences, usually
this can handled by distributing an init script that runs
'fs setserverprefs' after starting up the client.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net