[OpenAFS] Re: fs setserverprefs and supernetting

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:05:17 -0500

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:31:15 +0100
"Assarsson, Emil" <Emil.Assarsson@sonyericsson.com> wrote:

> This script is intended to be executed by cron each minute or so.

Every minute seems a bit excessive to me, but that's just me.

This may put your clients in the odd situation where the RO server they
use for a particular volume will likely be changing every minute or so,
if that volume has RO sites on several servers that are the same
"distance" away. (Since the random number added to the set preferences
will change, even if the preference does not, IIRC). Not that there's
any problem with that, but I believe you're going to be different from
most other clients in that way. Just something to remember.

Oh, and it may increase fileserver callback load for ROs in that case,
as well as net traffic for callback breaks.

You could compare the pref output from getserverprefs and only change it
if the higher bits of the pref are different than what you would set
them to, but you may not care.

> # Sort servers
> open(FSGP, "fs gp -nu|") or die "Can't get servers";

It'd be nice if scripts used the full names for options (-numeric).
While I think we have been maintaining backwards compatibility... I
mean, this makes it really annoying to add any other option that starts
with -nu.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net