[OpenAFS] fs setserverprefs and supernetting

Jim Rowan jmr@computing.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:54:29 -0500

On Nov 1, 2010, at 4:31 AM, Assarsson, Emil wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would just like to have your input on this method of setting
> serverprefs based on the supernet distance.
>
> The background is that we have a large WAN with high latencies. The
> default method of calculating the weight for serverprefs is not good.
> We could have done this with static weighting but we need to keep
> things really flexible and self-configuring.

There's a built-in assumption here that IP address assignments have a
clear relationship with latency.  That's probably accurate in so far
as your company uses supernetting for routing.  If you hand off Wan
connections to MPLS, for instance, that might no longer be a good
assumption, and this approach may fall down.  This algorithm does
appear to be an improvement over the built-in one, though.