[OpenAFS] cache manager is very very slow for simple things

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@alumni.tu-berlin.de
Mon, 01 Nov 2010 21:46:06 +0100

On 11/01/2010 04:03 PM, David Bear wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Felix Frank <
> Felix.Frank@alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> On 10/28/2010 10:07 PM, David Bear wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed today that with openafs 1.4.10 on suse linux that two very odd
>>> things are happening. First, bash tab completion takes many seconds to
>>> complete a path to an item in AFS. Second, emacs keeps hanging when any
>>> buffer has a file residing in AFS open. The hang is global to emacs --
>>> but not to the computer.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> The bash bit reminds me of an effect I observed even in a local fs. I had a
>> directory inode that had grown to an absurd size (several dozen MB I
>> believe) and the system took forever reading it.
>>

> This could be something. There may be some paths that take an inordinate
> amount of time to display with ls or have tab completion work over. I
> assumed it was always related to afs because there were afs paths symlinked
> in the local directory. How did you fix it ? an fsck?

I fear not ;/

I move'd the offending dir away, created a new one and move'd all the
contents from the "backup" into the new one.

So this is not how you fix your broken /var in production.

It would be interesting to know if fsck actually does fix that sort of
thing.

Does ls -l indicate that you indeed face this problem?

Cheers,
Felix