[OpenAFS] Re: Speed up pts actions

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu, 18 Nov 2010 22:02:17 +0100

> I don't think that it is very important to make the change actions faster in pts even if it would be nice. I can imagine that there are other stuff that are way more interesting... maybe an LDAP based PTS/VLDB ;-)

Hi,

this is a likely thought that is uttered once in a while.

Last time it was discussed, it appeared to be an accepted fact that
adding an LDAP backend to PTS is not simple, because there are some
interactions rather deep inside the ptserver that have been tuned to be
lightning fast, and if you loose that speed (because you need to talk to
the LDAP server process), AFS grinds to abysmal speeds.

Maybe pthreaded ubik has alleviated some of that by now?

Regards,
Felix