[OpenAFS] End of life for Windows 2000?

Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:57:09 -0500

--------------enig7636A384D3BD6C4965ADEC18

On 11/22/2010 9:24 AM, Phillip Moore wrote:
>=20
> I would think for any closed operating system platform, that we should
> drop support in sync with the vendor.  If Microsoft has stopped
> supporting W2K, then this seems like a no-brainer to me.  So do we. =20
>  For open source operating systems, then the same thing applies,
> assuming there's a governing body or community for that particular OS. =
 =20
>=20
> Perhaps this is really a question that should be address by the OpenAFS=

> elders?  ( I miss you guys... :-P )
>=20
> If we don't have a clear policy on determining when to drop a platform,=

> it costs us dearly, as supporting these "dead" platforms prevents us
> from modernizing the environment like this.

The purpose of this e-mail is fact finding.  Last time I asked the
question there were still a considerable number of sites that were using
win2000 and winxp that were holding off upgrades until their win7
strategy was in place.  One of the challenges for these sites in
upgrading is the lack of a trouble-free win7 client for openafs.
The redirector releases (1.8) are not going to support Windows 2000.
That has been stated in the past.  The question is whether killing off
support for Win2000 in 1.6 will be too painful.

Jeffrey Altman