[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Jakub Witkowski jpw@jabster.pl
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:37:03 +0100

2010/11/25 Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Jakub Witkowski <jpw@jabster.pl> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Back during European OpenAFS meeting, there was some discussion about
>> replacing current OpenAFS website with a new, better and shinier one.
>> The task seemed not to have any takers, though, because I have not
>> seen any discussion about it on neither this nor developer discussion
>> lists.
>>
>> Recently, I found myself having plenty of free time and decided that I
>> could tackle this problem. I have built what could be considered a
>> functional demo, available at http://afs.rikanise.net/ While the it is
>> functional, it should not be considered finished - there are some
>> small niggles here and there (like the fact that "software" section
>> thinks it contains add-ons for Plone) that should be ironed out before
>> it is used as the main site.
>>
>> I would like to solicit comments about site's functionality and
>> behaviour - I tried to build something that could be useful for the
>> community but my choices might not be the best ones. Feel free to grab
>> an account and play around! If you want to play with some particular
>> aspect of the site (for example add a new document to documentation
>> tab), register and then drop me an email, I'll set required privileges
>> for you.
>
> Certainly it seems functional; What's the backend? The current web
> site, being emitted,
> has the advantage that we could clone it around the world simply by
> pointing numerous web servers
> at the content in AFS.

The site is based on Plone ( http://plone.org/ ), which is a Python
powered content management system. The downside to this solution is
that it requires a long-running process and a bit more resources than
classic "bunch of php" would use and needs a slightly more exotic
configuration in the frontend web server. On the upside, it is
self-contained and requires little more than modern gcc and svn to
clone the whole site.