[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Thu, 25 Nov 2010 10:19:50 -0500

--------------enigF77AE72E6397AEC038BA9F1D

On 11/25/2010 10:02 AM, Jakub Witkowski wrote:
> The reason behind my choice of CMS was that it would allow many people
> working together on the content without each and every of them needing
> direct access to the underlying storage, which should help improve the
> content in the long run - for example, it would be much easier to
> update documentation to match current code, simply because the
> developer working on a given feature can directly edit the pertinent
> document without having to deal with website innards.

Just so you are aware.  Documentation for OpenAFS.  Everything under
http://docs.openafs.org/ is managed in the same git repository as the
source code.  We manage documentation update review exactly the same way
we manage source code review.  We use http://gerrit.openafs.org/.

>> # All this does not mean that we do not need a refurbished web site.
>>
> In the end, the real question is, do we have a dedicated person (or
> group) that are documentation writers and each and every change to
> official manuals must pass under their fingers or do we want to do it
> in a more opportunistic, more distributed way?

I do not believe this is the question.  Documentation is already written
in a distributed manner in which any member of the community can
contribute to documentation using the editor of their choice and git.

> A non-interactive web site naturally lends itself to the former, while
> a more interactive one will help foster the other.

The web site serves a very different purpose.  It is a mechanism for:

* explaining what OpenAFS is

  - why should your organization use OpenAFS?

* communicating news (newsletters, security bulletins, new releases, etc)=

* providing search, archive, and registration interfaces to the mailing
lists

* access to binary and source package downloads

* gateway to the community wiki

* pointing people at the resources they need to obtain help

* explaining the openafs development roadmap

* explaining how community members can contribute

* MOST IMPORTANT: give visitors the confidence that OpenAFS should be
taken seriously and is not going to disappear overnight

The OpenAFS web site really does need a serious overhaul.  We have known
that for the better part of eight years.  I still believe that FreeBSD
has the best open source project web site and would like OpenAFS to
model ours on their design.

  http://www.freebsd.org/

Jeffrey Altman