[OpenAFS] New OpenAFS website proposal.

Jakub Witkowski jpw@jabster.pl
Fri, 26 Nov 2010 13:59:41 +0100

2010/11/26 Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk>:

> AFSLore Wiki was probably started with that idea but, frankly, it
> looks broken and inspires little confidence. There is also problem of
> repetition, with so many places to store relevant information, we risk
> them falling out of sync with each other.
>
> We recently switched from TWiki to ikiwiki for the AFSLore content. Whilst
> the content was all moved over, little has been done in terms of skinning
> that content. I suspect that it is this triumph of content over presentation
> that makes you feel that it looks broken. The huge advantage of ikiwiki is
> that we can maintain it using the same tools as we use for our source and
> documentation repositories.

Out of curiosity, what happens to local changes?

> We have a very small number of people looking after our infrastructure, and
> their time is pulled in many different directions. This means that
> simplicity, and reuse of existing tools, are both huge advantages for us.

This sounds like an incentive to integrate all of the tools and
content into one system.

> Obviously, if there is an offer if ongoing maintenance then that shifts the
> balance a little, but we do need to make sure that the site can survive the
> disappearance of any one person.

That is a good point.

> In my view, what we really need for the website is a new design - both
> visual, and in terms of the information architecture. The choice of
> implementation technology should come second to this.

Agreed. I believe we should start with  a slightly different question,
though: whether we want the site to be a read-only broadcast medium or
do we want user interaction.

> S.

Jakub.