[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Robert Milkowski milek@task.gda.pl
Fri, 01 Oct 2010 20:23:04 +0100

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 22:56, Robert Milkowski<milek@task.gda.pl>  wrote:

>>> I read the same leaked memo, and what I took from it is that
>>> it implies no interim feature updates (which for ZFS have
>>> been occurring during the current Solaris release), and no
>>> bug fixes (when needed).  Just a code drop every major
>>> release (24 months or so?).  As to whether that is what
>>> will actually happen is unclear (leaked memos are not
>>> policy).
>>>

>> Well, they've just releases S10 U9 with ZFS updates.
>> Then they are about to publish Solaris 11 Express with even more new ZFS
>> features.
>>
> Have they published the source code?  That is what I
> talking about, source code that others could use to
> update their implementations.  I have no doubt Oracle
> will continue to release updates for their closed source
> releases.

Well, yes. All ZFS features in Solaris 10, including the latest update,
have been in Open Solaris for quite some time. The latest source
available is for build 147 while all features in the S10 update well
predate build 134.

--
Robert Milkowski
http://milek.blogspot.com