[OpenAFS] Re: Latest docs on building the OpenAFS source code

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:04:20 -0700

"Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR)" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> i suspect openafs should be prefixing its build vars with AFS_
> (or OPENAFS_) so that users can overload the 'standard' variabales.
> i believe this needs revisited anyway since i am not sure the existing
> variables are even used consistently.

It depends a lot on what we're doing.  If we're adding flags that the user
should be able to override, we should append them to the existing CFLAGS,
etc.  If we're adding flags that should persist even if the user overrides
(such as paths to libraries based on Autoconf results), we should use
separate variables (preferrably a separate set for each library) and
combine them in the Makefile that's relevant to linking with that library.

The goal is to do the correct thing when the user runs:

    make CFLAGS="-g -frobnicate-my-source"

because they know better than we do about which flags should be passed to
their compiler, but they still want to find, say, the Kerberos headers.