[OpenAFS] Re: With 1.4.12, can /vicep partitions be plain directories?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:48:49 -0500

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 19:52:23 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> On 09/28/2010 09:22 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:
>
> > I wasn't sure what you meant at first, but Russ' messages made me
> > think maybe I do. Do you just mean the fileserver logging ignored
> > partitions (and mentioning AlwaysAttach if appropriate) on startup?
> >
> > IIRC, as Russ mentions, that code right now is organized a bit
> > awkwardly for that in that it goes through the list of partitions in
> > multiple passes. But I'll take a look probably tomorrow.
> >

> I meant something like that. To build on Russ' suggestion maybe
> something like this:
>      skipping /vicepa which isn't a separate partition. create
> /vicepa/AlwaysAttach to forceably mount it.

Later than I said, but gerrit 2893 has something like this. It logs this
message:

VAttachPartitions: not attaching /vicepc; either it is not a separate partition, or it failed to attach (create the file /vicepc/AlwaysAttach to force attaching it)

Which I think is accurate. I don't want to say "skipping /vicepX because
it's not a separate partition" because the code at that point doesn't
actually know why the partition/directory was skipped. If it is a
separate partition but fails to attach for some reason, you'll also get
that message because without significant changes to that code, those two
cases are indistinguishable.

As noted in the comments, you also get another error message if a
partition fails to attach, so I don't think that case is too confusing.

Is this helpful? Or is this just more confusing stuff since it doesn't
tell you specifically why the partition is getting ignored?

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net