[OpenAFS] Windows client complaints.

Thu, 07 Oct 2010 07:54:39 -0400

--------------enigE67C63623B62473878ACA79B

On 10/7/2010 5:20 AM, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> We have a few (sometimes heavy loaded) WTS machines that have started t=
> get annoying
> warnings in the application log after we upgraded client from 1.5.64 to=

> 1.5.77.
>=20
> Each 5 seconds it gets lines like this in the application log:
>=20
> Server 130.240.42.222 reported volume 538176929 as temporarily
> unaccessible.
> All servers are offline when accessing cell ltu.se volume 538176929.
>=20
> It always complain about a specific volume, but after some time it may
> start complaining
> about another volume instead.  Despite this, the volume is accessible
> even though there are
> delays when walking around in the volume.
>=20
> We haven't seen this on any other machines, but on three WTS servers.
> The WTS machines are running 2003R2 64-bit with the SMB AFS client.
> No complains at all on the file servers.  Tested with complaining volum=
es
> on both 1.4.11 and 1.4.12.1 file servers.
>=20
> Any hints?  Because this only occurs if there is quite some load on the=

> terminal
> servers it's not easy to debug (and unpopular :-)
>=20
> -- Ragge

The errors were most likely present in the past.  There simply were no
log messages for them before 1.5.75.  That warning message indicates
that the file server returned a VIO error for the object being accessed.
 If source is a read/write volume, there will be no other replicas and
so all servers will be offline for that object.

You will need to examine the file server logs to identify the reason the
VIO error is being returned.

Jeffrey Altman