[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS failing rmdir performance

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:43:44 -0400

On 8 Oct 2010, at 17:24, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 23:03:11 +0200
> Matthias Braun <matthias.braun@kit.edu> wrote:
>=20
>> The first few rmdirs are fast after that it takes around a second or
>> so per rmdir... This does only happen for non-empty directories. Is
>> there a conceptual problem in AFS for this or is this a strange kind
>> of bug?
>=20
> This is probably the throttling behavior of the fileserver, where the
> fileserver throttles client activity if it sends too many RPCs that
> return error codes in a certain amount of time.

I do wonder if the abort threshold is too aggressive when applied to =
authenticated clients. Whilst a denial of service attack is possible =
from authenticated clients, it's also more likely that there will be =
administrative means available to track down and punish offenders. Maybe =
we need two different thresholds depending on the class of the client.

S.