[OpenAFS] laptop use

Ryan C. Underwood nemesis-lists@icequake.net
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:58:52 -0500

To resurrect this topic (a sore one for me lately):

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 08:15:47AM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:

> depends how MacOS decides if it should return EHOSTUNREACH; none of
> those are default routes and so presumably are not a route which would
> reach a server (and if they would reach a server, i assume you can
> start the server in VMware!) so in theory it should be fine. I have an
> idea what may be wrong in this case, and I suspect I can look at this
> part, at least, today, since if I'm right it will take a couple
> minutes to reproduce, and probably not much longer to fix.

On Linux when the AFS mount hangs after a disconnect/reconnect, there is
at least one file server that occasionally never times out.  I believe
this is the source of the problem of the mount perma-hang but don't know
how to debug it further.  If all fileservers time out then everything
goes back to normal.

Interestingly, the gnome-panel also freezes when the AFS mount hangs
despite not (according to lsof or fuser) having any files open in /afs
as far as I can tell.  I wonder if this issue is tied into
inotify/dnotify somehow.

--
Ryan C. Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>