[OpenAFS] MacOS AppleDouble excretions

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 11:22:52 -0400

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM,  <omalleys@msu.edu> wrote:
> Just 2 cents.
>
> .DS_Store files can get axed. They are sort of akin to windows thumb.db
> files.
>
> Resource forks:
> This guy said it better than I could:
> http://jonsview.com/mac-os-x-resource-forks
>
> For OS pre-X and I -think- carbon applications, they need to be there.
>
> Given OS pre-X applications, were phased out, and carbon (both os pre-X and
> OS X application framework.) are being phased out in favor of Cocoa (OS X
> only applications), it really isn't too far of a stretch to make available a
> way to phase it out the resource forks.

POSIX extended attributes are stored in the files. Until we deal with
them natively (which requires new RPCs) deleting them actively loses
data.
If you store them locally, you're not saving all the data.

They are not solely used to store OSX-specific data.

So, if you want to throw away data, I can suggest other optimizations.
Things will be very, very fast.

Derrick