[OpenAFS] Re: MacOS AppleDouble excretions

Adam Megacz adam@megacz.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:30:50 +0000

omalleys@msu.edu writes:
> I can understand where large sites don't want to go this route
> globally since it could break something. ...

> I can understand where AFS Team doesn't want to make it a global
> default option.

> I can understand where a user would want the ability to just not
> create the files

I am in complete agreement with these three statements -- and was before
I started this thread (assuming an error code is returned to the
userspace application when the files are "not created").

Booker Bense <bbense@slac.stanford.edu> writes:
> I see this as a complete waste of time.

Actually I was going to volunteer to write the patch for the Mac client.
It's not a waste of _my_ time if it stands a reasonable chance of being
included.  But, based on this thread, that appears not to be the case.

Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> writes:
> POSIX extended attributes are stored in the files. Until we deal with
> them natively (which requires new RPCs) deleting them actively loses
> data.

Look, this fuss about "losing data" is a real distraction; can we handle
it and stick to the important issues?

An error code should ALWAYS be returned to the userspace application by
a write operation if the AFS client has declined to perform that action
due to end-user configuration choices.  I don't think anybody in their
right mind (or on this list) is proposing that the resource forks be
silently discarded.  I think I was pretty clear about this in my
original post.  Construing my proposal as "discarding" the forks is not
helpful at all, and muddies the issue a lot.

If the filesystem reports an error, it has not taken responsibility for
the data, so it does not "actively lose[s] data".

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> writes:
> The fix for the I don't like DoubleFiles issue is to find the financial
> or development resources necessary to implement support for EAs

I agree, although that is "a fix", not "the fix".

I don't have access to those kind of resources, but I do have sufficient
resources to add the client-side option.

  - a