[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS client tuning for Maildir access

Robert Banz rob@nofocus.org
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 17:16:30 +0100

--0016363b843084f12d04939b8d66

I'll second the "just don't do it"

I had written a custom maildir-like driver for the c-client framework, and
somewhat successfully used it at my site for years. However, there are
multiple dimensions in which this really doesn't scale, and for the best
user experience you should consider moving to something like Cyrus instead
of spending your time trying to make AFS meet your needs.

-rob

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>wrot=
e:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:32:42 +0200
> linus.widstromer@it.su.se (Linus Widstr=F6mer) wrote:
>
> > The client parameters which we have been focusing on are -stat,
> > -daemons, -rxpck and -files.
> >
> > Judging from the Git repo the default settings for these parameters
> > haven't been modified since 2003. Are the default values still
> > reasonable for a vanilla system or should they be updated?
>
> -stat and -files iirc are tuned according to the given cache size, and
> should generally be okay. Your use-case with maildirs is not normal,
> though, so it makes sense to tune them.
>
> > Are there any drawbacks of raising the number of daemons and rxpackets
> > all over the line of clients? We would prefer to run all clients with
> > the same set of config, rather than having to classify them as "high
> > load server", "medium load servers", "low load workstations" etc.
>
> Just more memory usage. iirc -rxpck should not be necessary at all with
> certain versions with some RX improvements, but I don't think any of
> those versions are in 1.4.
>
> > Any pointers to documents or experiences of running maildirs in AFS
> > w.r.p. performance and availability are of course welcome.
>
> "Don't do it" :) If you search the list archives, you will find some
> others that have tried doing this.
>
> --
> Andrew Deason
> adeason@sinenomine.net

--0016363b843084f12d04939b8d66

ad written a custom maildir-like driver for the c-client framework, and som=
ewhat successfully used it at my site for years. However, there are multipl=
e dimensions in which this really doesn&#39;t scale, and for the best user =
experience you should consider moving to something like Cyrus instead of sp=
ending your time trying to make AFS meet your needs.</div>

ct 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Andrew Deason <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

(Linus Widstr=F6mer) wrote:<br>
&gt; The client parameters which we have been focusing on are -stat,<br>
&gt; -daemons, -rxpck and -files.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Judging from the Git repo the default settings for these parameters<br=

&gt; haven&#39;t been modified since 2003. Are the default values still<br>
&gt; reasonable for a vanilla system or should they be updated?<br>
d<br>
should generally be okay. Your use-case with maildirs is not normal,<br>
though, so it makes sense to tune them.<br>
&gt; Are there any drawbacks of raising the number of daemons and rxpackets=
&gt; all over the line of clients? We would prefer to run all clients with<=
br>
&gt; the same set of config, rather than having to classify them as &quot;h=
igh<br>
&gt; load server&quot;, &quot;medium load servers&quot;, &quot;low load wor=
kstations&quot; etc.<br>
th<br>
certain versions with some RX improvements, but I don&#39;t think any of<br=

those versions are in 1.4.<br>
&gt; Any pointers to documents or experiences of running maildirs in AFS<br=

&gt; w.r.p. performance and availability are of course welcome.<br>
ill find some<br>
others that have tried doing this.<br>
--<br>
Andrew Deason<br>