[OpenAFS] Re: A newbie on Install/Configure openafs-1.4.12.1-src

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:14:54 -0400

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:37:33 +0800
LInd <heavenmade1201@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,all
>
> I'm newbie for OpenAFS , now working under RedHat6 x86_64 ,  but no
> rpms for my evironment . So beg your help .

Do you want RPMs? You can build your own; if you use a couple of patches
from the git repository it will even work with RHEL 6. We can tell you
how, if you want to go that route.

> After comple the openafs-1.4.12.1-src.tar.gz , my dir is now
> under /usr/local/src/openafs-1.4.12.1/amd64_linux26/dest/ .The results
> showed below
>
> [root@linux ~] ls /usr/local/src/openafs-1.4.12.1/amd64_linux26/dest/
> bin  etc  include  lib  LICENSE  root.client  root.perf  root.server
>
> As docs <http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/ch02s09.html#HDRWQ44> sayed
> : "Copy the AFS kernel library files to the local /usr/vice/etc/modload
> directory" , but no /usr/vice or /usr/afs exist as no rpm install .
>
> I wanna know should I  mv root.server to /usr/afs , and root.client to
> /usr/vice ? what about other files ?

If you ran ./configure with --enable-transarc-paths, you generally want
the stuff in root.client/usr/vice/etc/ to be in /usr/vice/etc/ on your
machine. If /usr/vice/etc/ doesn't exist, then just create it. Same for
/usr/afs/etc/. The Quick Start Guide assumes you ran with
--enable-transarc-paths, I think.

The stuff in bin/ and etc/ you can put anywhere in your PATH.
Historically it has gone in /usr/afsws/bin and /usr/afsws/etc, but most
distributions put them in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. You may want to put
the stuff in bin/ in /usr/local/bin/ and etc/ in /usr/local/sbin/. But
it's up to you.

You mostly likely don't need the stuff in include/ or lib/ or
root.perf/ at all.

If you did _not_ run ./configure with --enable-transarc-paths, I don't
think you want to run 'make dest'. You can just run 'make' and 'make
install'.

> 2. How can I start my afs
>
> if all the installation is done ( I did only on one machine right now
> ), docs instruct me to start bosserver , what's the relation between
> bosserver and afs ?  I did start the bosserver -noauth , at the same
> time , use the below cmd , but showed wrong info

Are you trying to create a new AFS cell, or do you just want to run a
client to access other cells? bosserver is the daemon that runs other
OpenAFS server daemons; you configure it on cell fileservers and
database servers.

> # /etc/init.d/afs start

If you are trying to set up your own cell, you cannot start the client
just right after starting bosserver; there are other things you need to
set up first.

You might be a little confused because the Quick Start Guide I think
guides you to set up some client stuff before setting up the server.
This is because historically it was necessary to set up some client bits
before setting up the server, but on Linux and a few other modern
systems you don't need to. I'd say set up the server before bothering
with any client stuff at all. That is, I think you want to continue
following the guide from here:
<http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/ch02s11.html>

--
Andrew Deason