[OpenAFS] Testing OpenAFS with Windows XP Roaming Profiles....

Claudio Prono claudio.prono@atpss.net
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:20:41 +0200

Christopher D. Clausen ha scritto:
> Claudio Prono <claudio.prono@atpss.net> wrote:
>>> I am testing a solution like: OpenAFS with kerberos, Windows XP with
>>> Integrated logon and roaming profile.
>>>
>>> OpenAFS works, Kerberos works, integrated logon works... The profile on
>>> AFS not.
>>>
>>> I have manually copied the profile in a directory on AFS like
>>> "msprofile", edited the windows registry at key:
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>>> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and changed the key ProfileImagePath to
>>> \\afs\mediaservice-test.pri\users\claudio\msprofile
>>>
>>> Deleted the local profile, rebooted the machine, logged in as
>>> claudio...
>>> and...a new local profile was created!!! If i check the registry
>>> key, it
>>> is changed again to the default (something like %SystemDrive%\Documents
>>> and Settings\claudio.TESTAFS)...
>>>
>>> What i am doing wrong? What is the best solution?
>
> Are you literally changing the registry?  And not doing things the
> supported way by setting the user profile path within Active
> Directory?  I'd say the best solution is to NOT edit the registry
> directly to change a profile location.

Yes, i changing the registry because i don't have any Active Directory
(and i don't want it), or domain controller.
> There are some group policy settings to disable windows trying to
> change permissions on the profile path.  I suspect this might be
> causing problems as Windows does not know how to set AFS permissions
> and if this attempt fails, Windows reverts to a local profile.
I have read about that permissions, but i don't have found it anywhere
in Windows XP......

> Also, you might need to set at least system:anyuser l on the folder so
> that the computer itself (without AFS credentials) can see that the
> folder exists before trying to use it as a profile path.  I am not
> sure about that though.
AFS user now, for test purpouses have full control on the profile
directory on the AFS....

Cordially,

Claudio.