[OpenAFS] Re: Volume won't release - needs salvaging.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:30:26 -0500

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:26:59 -0400 (EDT)
Richard Brittain <Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu> wrote:

> OpenAFS 1.4.12, Linux (RHEL5) server, ext3 filesystem for /vicep*

Is only one server involved? As in, you have an RW on that server, with
a local RO clone? Or are you releasing to another remote site?

> - vos release complains that the volume needs salvage - refuses to release

What is in VolserLog when you try to release?

> - vos remove the RW, leave the RO (different server)

I'm a bit confused by this. What server are all of the RW and ROs on?

> - vos remove volname.readonly  -- fails, volume needs to be salvaged
>       (This surprised me - I'm trying to delete it, but it wants to be
>        fixed first).

'vos remove' tries to read volume metadata and deletes stuff that the
metadata points at. So if it can't read it, it says "needs salvage".
'vos zap -force', on the other hand, scans the partition and deletes
anything that refers to the volume you want to delete.

That's the general idea, anyway; the actual implementation details vary
a little.

> - remove and recreate the mount point (not sure if that was needed)

No, but clients may need an 'fs checkvolumes' to pick up the new volume
ID. Recreating the mount point may do something to get clients to
reevaluate the vol ID, but I wouldn't think it should.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net