[OpenAFS] Re: With 1.4.12, can /vicep partitions be plain directories?

Thomas Briggs tbriggs@cs.ship.edu
Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:15:02 -0400

On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Andrew Deason wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:03:08 -0400
> Phillip Moore <w.phillip.moore@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Is it not possible to use plain old directories for the /vicep
>> partitions?
>=20
> It is. 'touch /vicepa/AlwaysAttach' and restart the fileserver
> processes.

Thanks!  thats new to me too!  In the past, I've used the loopback =
concept:

# make a 1G file
dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/bigmount/vicepa bs=3D1k count=3D1000000

# mkfs on it - ignore complaints about it being a file
mkfs /bigmount/vicepa

# set up loopback mount on it
mount /bigmount/vicepa /vicepa -oloop

the above can be added to /etc/fstab.  it works fine on linux / mac for =
testing, probably not optimal for production.  mileage may vary.=