[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Vincent Fox vbfox@ucdavis.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 10:00:17 -0700

  On 9/29/2010 8:57 AM, Richard Brittain wrote:
> We are about to bring up a new fileserver with ext4.  We've been
> running ext4 for several months in non-AFS production boxes and were
> very happy with the performance - measurably faster than ext3 for
> large file i/o.
>
> I'm a bit surprised nobody else has admitted to using ext4 for their
> /vicep*, but at least nobody has reported problems with it either.

Performance became secondary to SAFETY for me long ago.

Nothing says safety like checksums for every block, right in
the filesystem code.  I've been burned enough by failures in
getting bits back and forth to disks.

Anyone tried btrfs?