[OpenAFS] laptop use

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:15:47 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Thomas Briggs <tbriggs@cs.ship.edu> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Derrick Brashear wrote:
>
>>> That was my expectation, and my experience with 1.4. =A0Booting w/ AFS =
made boot quite a bit slower. =A0It hangs w/ messages about cache scanning.

>> which is interesting, because that doesn't even have a network component=
 to it.

>> what's in /var/db/openafs/etc/config/afs.conf file, in the OPTIONS varia=
ble?

> Mine are the defaults:
> OPTIONS=3D"-chunksize 18 -afsdb -stat 5000 -dcache 800 -daemons 8 -volume=
s 70 -dynroot -fakestat-all"

ok. so you have nothing there which should matter, in theory. i wonder
if we're waiting for DNS lookups to time out for some reason.
if so, changing -dynroot to -dynroot-sparse *may* help. I haven't tried.

>>> Time outs seem to take quite a long time. =A0This seems especially true=
 when using file dialog boxes. =A0When disconnected, finder hangs for a few=
 seconds (about 10 seconds) before giving up.

>> the "it's instant" trick only works if there's no net (as it uses
>> "hey, no route!" as a hint). happen to know if that's true?
>>

> vmware fusion's "helper" has routes, even when there aren't any physical =
adapters up, but they are private addresses - does that matter?:

depends how MacOS decides if it should return EHOSTUNREACH; none of
those are default routes and so presumably are not a route which would
reach a server (and if they would reach a server, i assume you can
start the server in VMware!) so in theory it should be fine. I have an
idea what may be wrong in this case, and I suspect I can look at this
part, at least, today, since if I'm right it will take a couple
minutes to reproduce, and probably not much longer to fix.

--=20
Derrick