[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Thu, 30 Sep 2010 13:05:14 -0400

--------------enigAFF345E280B78C9125EACD82

On 9/30/2010 12:53 PM, Vincent Fox wrote:
>  On 9/30/2010 6:40 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> Getting back the data your wrote is a hard
>> problem.  ZFS presumes that everything
>> downstream of it will (eventually) fail.  There
>> is overhead there, but it does solve a set
>> of problems that other solutions do not.
>> (And the highly paranoid presume ZFS will
>> fail, so take different precautions).
>>
> I've seen 3 RAID-5 sets have double-disk failures in the last 5 years.
>=20
> I've seen one even have a triple-disk failure in a short timespan.
> Too short for all that rebuild from hot spares business to work.
>=20
> Granted, older disks on older system.
>=20
> Everyone will say "yeah, but it's very unlikely and hasn't happened to =
ME".
>=20
> I like ZFS RAID-10, I like it a LOT.  I don't think people understand h=
ow
> good it really is, most are afraid of anything other than the OS
> they run now and antique filesystems that have accreted decades
> of "fixes" for design defects.  Do you trust black box RAID controllers=
?
> I don't.  I really like being able to run scrub whenever I need to ensu=
re
> the data on the disk is correct.
>=20
> It makes me sad that Oracle bought Sun, where it will probably wither.
> If IBM had bought Sun I would have more hope of a good filesystem
> for MacOS, Linux, etc.  in the near term.  ZFS has been stable and
> in production for years now.  I like btrfs but it is years from
> being ready for terabytes of production data.

Bill Moore and Jeff Bonwick have both left Oracle.  It is certainly a
sad day.

ZFS is license incompatible with Linux.  Apple has already walked away
once.  That leaves BSD and Windows as potential operating systems.  If
you would be willing to run file servers on Windows atop a Windows ZFS
implementation, please let me know.

Jeffrey Altman