[OpenAFS] Overview? Linux filesystem choices

Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:12:49 -0400

--------------enigFB16F5F689C134B60F17B5ED

On 9/30/2010 3:52 PM, Robert Milkowski wrote:
> On 30/09/2010 18:05, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> Bill Moore and Jeff Bonwick have both left Oracle.  It is certainly a
>> sad day.
>>
>>   =20
>=20
> Bill is working for Nexenta and he is working on ZFS :)
> He is supposed to give a talk on ZFS's future at Open Storage Summit -
> see http://nexenta-summit2010.eventbrite.com/

To say that Bill Moore is working for Nexenta is a bit of an
overstatement.  Bill joined their Advisory Board back in April 2010.  As
far as I am aware, that is as far as the relationship goes.

http://www.nexenta.com/corp/blog/2010/04/06/bill-moore-joins-nexenta-advi=
sory-board/

One of the issues at this point is whether ZFS splinters into a number
of incompatible deployments.  Will it be possible to migrate a ZFS posix
layer file system from Oracle Solaris 11 to Nexenta to FreeBSD to Debian
BSD and still have the file system be usable.  Oracle's decision to stop
giving away their intellectual property to Nexenta to ship to end users
before Oracle is able to ship and support Solaris Next makes a great
deal of sense.  The number of patchsets that were contributed to ZFS
from outside Sun/Oracle were extremely small in number compared to the
internal feature work.   Oracle's decision to release source in
conjunction with each Solaris release gives them the ability to profit
from their investment while still permitting open source developers to
make use of the code.

---

On a separate note.  A dozen e-mails in under 20 minutes to the same
thread really is overkill.

Jeffrey Altman