[OpenAFS] RHEL/OpenAFS as VMware ESXi guest

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 03 Apr 2011 19:53:02 -0400

On 04/03/2011 06:31 PM, Thomas Smith wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2011, at 15:18, Russ Allbery<rra@stanford.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Thomas Smith<theitsmith@gmail.com>  writes:
>>
>>> I'm currently running RHEL 5 Xen and am considering switching to VMware
>>> ESXi 4.
>>> Has anyone on the list used these together and, if so, were any issues
>>> were experienced? Since both OpenAFS and VMware Tools insert modules
>>> into the kernel, I am concerned that one might break the other.
>> We have a bunch of VMware guests and have never had any trouble.  We've
>> never tried installing OpenAFS on the ESXi host, though.  (I wasn't sure
>> from your question whether you were considering that, or just looking at
>> the guests.)
> Thanks for the reply Russ.
>
> I am looking at running OpenAFS as a guest, not on the host.
We're running a few test machines. They are RHEL5 64bit guests running
the 1.4.12 openafs client, They are guests on a VMware ESXi host. We run
the VMware tools in the guests as well. I don't recall any issues.

Jason