[OpenAFS] OpenAFS building for RHEL6

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 15:12:29 +0100

On 5 Apr 2011, at 14:59, John Hascall wrote:

>=20
>> On 5 Apr 2011, at 14:35, John Hascall wrote:
>>> I downloaded openafs-1.6.0pre4 source,
>> [...]
>>> Then the instructions kinda petered out...
>=20
>> What is your desired end product, and what instructions are you =
following?
>=20
> A functioning afs client.  The README that was in the source bundle.

The README really just provides information on how to build the source =
package. Information on how to go from a built source tree to a running =
client is contained in the Quick Start Guide, which is available from =
docs.openafs.org

However, if you just want a running client, rather than a development =
tree, I would strongly encourage you to use the SRPM. The packaging in =
the SRPM is more complete and better tested than what you get from a =
"make install". In particular, it will install and configure a proper RC =
script so that the client is correctly started and stopped. There should =
be an SRPM available for 1.6.0pre4 from the OpenAFS website, you can =
build this by simply using the 'rpmbuild' tool.

Cheers,

Simon.