[OpenAFS] OpenAFS building for RHEL6

Todd Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Tue, 05 Apr 2011 10:37:28 -0400

>>> What is your desired end product, and what instructions are you
>>> following?
>>
>> A functioning afs client.  The README that was in the source bundle.
>
> The README really just provides information on how to build the source
> package. Information on how to go from a built source tree to a running
> client is contained in the Quick Start Guide, which is available from
> docs.openafs.org

Those two sentences would be a great addition to the src tarball README.

> However, if you just want a running client, rather than a development
> tree, I would strongly encourage you to use the SRPM. The packaging in
> the SRPM is more complete and better tested than what you get from a
> "make install". In particular, it will install and configure a proper
> RC script so that the client is correctly started and stopped. There
> should be an SRPM available for 1.6.0pre4 from the OpenAFS website, you
> can build this by simply using the 'rpmbuild' tool.

Should be, but alas, http://dl.openafs.org/dl/openafs/candidate/1.6.0pre4
shows none. In fact, finding 1.6.0pre4 is quite a trick. I'm not sure you
can do it starting from http://openafs.org/ without manual URL tweaking.
Maybe I'm click deficient, but I still haven't found the rpm to configure
yum. Finally did it by hand.

  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /  He often broke into song because he couldn't find the key.  /