[OpenAFS] Re: vos move speed rates

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:10:19 -0400

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Eric Chris Garrison <ecgarris@iupui.edu> w=
rote:
> On 4/13/11 12:01 PM, openafs-info-request@openafs.org wrote:
>> From: Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>
>> Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:59:22 -0500
>> Subject: [OpenAFS] Re: vos move speed rates

>> How are you measuring these speeds? Are you looking at the actual link
>> utilization, or just looking at how long it takes a volume to transfer,
>> and how large the volume is?
>
> I've measured two ways, using "time vos move" and dividing the size by
> the time, and confirmed the rough result by watching the transfer rate
> on "iftop".
>
> I'm considering doing tests with other underlying filesystems than my
> usual ext3. =A0There have been threads about this before, and I gather
> ReiserFS would be great at handling small file IO, but it's out of
> development.
>
> Anyone have experience using XFS or other filesystems instead of ext*?
>
> In other news, I was going to try to attempt the wrapper script on
> volserver and restart with "bos restart server volserver -localauth" but
> bizarrely, I got this in reply:
>
> bos: failed to restart instance volserver (no such entity)

there's no volserver bnode. at least, there better not be.
no, the suggestion was to kill it (and only the volserver, nothing
else), and let the bosserver deal.
because it will. you don't get to do it this way.

> It's most definitely in my BosConfig, and the current volserver in the
> process list has the currently running bosserver as its parent. =A0The
> script is executable, and I checked my paths and it really should work.
> =A0I'd try the other way, by manually killing the other volserver and
> running the wrapped one by hand, but I'd be afraid it wouldn't respawn
> when it crashes later.

then you're out of luck.

if you wrap it in a script that execs the real volserver, you will be fine.

> I suppose I could try crashing the volserver with a file transfer and
> see whether bosserver respawns on its own...

it does.