[OpenAFS] When to publish security advisories?

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:43:29 -0500

> Putting my security hat on, I think that local DOS impact
> is in the eye's of the beholder.  For single user systems,
> what you do to yourself is between the three of you.  For
> sites that support communities of which you have to
> presume at least a few compromised credentials, even
> a local DOS might be significant, or require actions.  As
> with all else, details matter (if anyone can do it with
> a `/bin/ls` it is much more potentially impactful to a site
> than if it requires a full moon, high tide, and a leap second
> to reproduce).
>=20
> So I would suggest that even local DOS deserves advisories
> (with any possible mitigations/workarounds), but not a
> software release/patch (i.e. "addressed in a future release").

A variation of this comment: much of the complexity of deploying a fix is r=
elated to packaging. Investment in simplifying and automating the process o=
f creating and deploying a new package would probably help somewhat with th=
e pain level of creating a new release. The current build system is not hel=
pful at all in that area.

If you could trigger a new package generation and placement in a repository=
 in various forms, I'd think that providing a patch would be more feasible.=
=20