[OpenAFS] Recovery Tools

Thomas Kula kula@tproa.net
Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:54:27 -0400

On 04/17/2011 01:24 AM, Meisam Mohammadkhani wrote:
>Hi,
>
>There is ordinary recovery tools in market that is useful when our data
>corrupt or loose, but they support ordinary file systems. My question is for
>any reason, if our data was corrupted under OpenAFS, is there any recovery
>tools for retrieving lost data?! Can we use ordinary recovery tools?!

If you use a namei fileserver (which OpenAFS on most systems
defaults to now, right?) then your data is stored in /vicep
partitions, which are regular filesystems and can be tackled
with your conventional recovery tools (all of your data is
stored in the vicep partition, it's just going to be in a
very weird path because of how OpenAFS stores volumeid/fileid
information).

That said, there is absolutely no recovery tool that is as
good as a comprehensive, automated and well-tested backup
scheme. I'd invest in that well before thinking of data
recovery tools.

--
Thomas L. Kula | kula@tproa.net | http://kula.tproa.net/