[OpenAFS] Yet another Windows 7 (64 bit) problem: "Listening"

Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:23:35 -0400

--------------enig7355A09FF330379AFF5629DB

I can't fix bugs that were never reported.   This e-mail includes two:

1. 64-bit MSI loopback installer doesn't work

2. Some cells can be accessed but not others.

There is no EXE installer for 64-bit because the installer product is
32-bit only.   After 1.6 I do not plan to support the EXE (Nullsoft)
installer at all.  The loopback adapter installer code is shared between
both types.  If it works for one, it should work for the other.  If it
isn't, then someone needs to file a bug report
(openafs-bugs@openafs.org) with details of the failure cases.

Jeffrey Altman

On 4/23/2011 1:15 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> The student claimed that the "AFS" network=20
> was indeed created by the AFS service, and was not pre-existing.
> (This is the second time this has happened to one of
> my students -- it could be that the newest Windows 7 x64
> just doesn't work with AFS.  But on the other hand, another student
> just got a new Windows 7 x64 computer and got a new set of
> errors -- they can access some AFS cells but not others (ours!);
> they claim to have disabled any firewall;
> It's amazing how many different failure modes OpenAFS has on Windows.)
>=20
> He did not want to uninstall Loopback adapter.
>=20
> Instead he installed Ubuntu and now AFS works fine.
> Since I never use Windows, I can't complain with this fix...
>=20
> Thanks for the hard work of all OpenAFS Windows people.
> I'll keep posting problems that show up and any solutions we find.
> (Currently the way that works for Windows 7x64 the best is to=20
>  - install the 32 bit version of OpenAFS contra warnings
>      just for the Loopback adapter
>  - install 64bit KfW from secure-endpoints (thanks!)
>  - install the 64 bit version of OpenAFS
> But even this fails sometimes.)
>=20
> I suppose if there was an EXE installer for 64 bit, or
> if the MSI installer came with a working Loopback Adapter -- we wouldn'=
> need to have the extra 32 bit step.
>=20
> Regards,
> John Boyland
>=20
> ] Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:28:36 -0400
> ] From: Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>
> ] To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> ] Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Yet another Windows 7 (64 bit) problem: "Liste=
ning"
> ]=20
> ] This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> ] --------------enig1B20BA9EC8FBBF112EC99021
> ]=20
> ] On 4/20/2011 11:04 AM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> ] > <quote>
> ] > nbtstat -s (shows all sessions in a table with destination IP)
> ] >=3D20
> ] > Local Name      State    In/Out  Remote Host       Input   Output
> ] > -------------------------------------------------------------------=

> ] > AFS            Listening
> ] >=3D20
> ] > nbtstat -n (shows all local netbios names) has AFS as a network con=
nect=3D
> ] ion
> ] > (all together there is Local area connection 1,2 and AFS).
> ] > </quote>
> ]=20
> ] The fact that the AFS Server is Listening and there are no connection=
> ] to it after performing a NET VIEW \\AFS is an indication that Windows=
 7
> ] is not connecting to the locally defined service.  Since NET VIEW \\A=
FS