[OpenAFS] Re: Unable to delete volume

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:54:36 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 16:09:36 -0400
Aaron Knister <aaronk@umbc.edu> wrote:

> Something I did just now was change the address of the non-existent
> server on the subnet we no-loner use to a temporary afs file server on
> a subnet we are using:
>
> vos changeaddr -oldaddr 130.85.60.43 -newaddr 130.85.24.58
>
> I did read the caveats in the man page before running the above
> command.  This at least points references to the non-existent
> fileserver to an existing server. I was hoping I could do a syncvldb
> and it would clean up the reference to the invalid volume but to no
> avail.

Please never do this. I don't know how to be more clear about it: do not
use 'vos changeaddr' to change a fileserver address. There are _no_
situations where there is any reason to use it in that manner, unless
you are dealing with very old fileservers that predate the multihoming
mechanism. When you use it to deal with server addresses for servers
that actually still exist (either new or old addr), you may (depending
on the versions in play) duplicate server entries in the VLDB, making it
somewhat difficult to get the VLDB back into its original state. I don't
know if you've done that and I don't have time to look at it now, but if
you don't notice any problems then you're probably fine.

As Simon indicates, what you want 'vos delentry', for the entry that
'vos listvldb' showed you.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net