[OpenAFS] Re: Unable to delete volume

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:59:19 -0500

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 10:45:42 -0400
Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I can't, because as mentioned the volume name is also associated
> > with another volume id that I definitely don't want to delete. To
> > illustrate what I mean, 130.85.24.58 is the server I want to delete
> > and the RO volume associated with it that I want to delete is named
> > g.ilin22.local:

Well, your vldb is mildly broken, then. Do you know how the other volume
got created? Our volume creation tools should prevent you from
duplicating a volume name.

And 'vos delentry' doesn't delete volumes. You could just 'vos delentry'
the volume twice, and presumably that will get rid of the 'bad' one.
Afterwards, you can run syncserv/syncvldb/'addsite -valid' to get the
entry back for the 'good' one. But what Derrick suggests is what you
should try first:

> > -------
> > $ vos listvldb -server 130.85.24.58
> > VLDB entries for server 130.85.24.58
> > g.ilin22.local
> >     ROnly: 536988828
> >     number of sites -> 1
> >        server solaris10-test1.core.umbc.edu partition /vicepa RO Site
> > Total entries: 1
>
> ah, so, your problem is this id isn't the RO id associated with the
> same name below.
> wild guess:
> vos ex 536988827 and see what it is. if nothing, try vos delentry
> 536988827 and see

vos listvl 536988827

Since the server it's on doesn't exist, or the reported server doesn't
have that volume, so 'examine' is going to hang / yell at you. The
'listvl' will show you the same entry for 536988828 if 536988827 is the
RW you want, so just 'delentry' it if so.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net