[OpenAFS] Re: -backuptree and defaults

Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:43:55 -0400

--------------enig7D5CA68274006392B143F127

On 8/5/2011 2:18 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wro=
te:
>> I'm curious why -backuptree / FollowBackupPath is not enabled by
>> default for clients? To me it makes more sense to have backup volume
>> traversals follow the same paradigm as RW traversals.
>=20
> Looks like this was discussed about four years ago:
> https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2007-December/028090.h=
tml
>=20
> Could this be changed before 1.6 is finalized?

In my opinion, its too late for 1.6 since pre-release candidates have
already shipped.  The time to have made the change would have been last
Summer before the 1.6 branch was created.

In any case, nothing has changed with regards to the need for a
consistent .backup policy across all volumes.  As indicated in that
thread, individual sites that know they have consistent backup policies
can distribute their own packing or configuration to clients that sets
the defaults they want.

At the moment there is no ability for a "cell" to notify the client via
a policy what the follow backup rule should be.  The correct place may
be a per volume policy bit.

Jeffrey Altman