[OpenAFS] Home not found

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 10:38:40 -0500

On 8/25/2011 8:03 AM, vitor lima wrote:
> Andrew Deason:
>
> "notably, if server0 has the lowest ip and is the only or just one of 2
>
> servers naed in CellServDB, you have to leave it up."
>
> ---
> Sorry, but I did not understand.
>

> In the file CellServDB I have the lines in the next order:
>
> 192.168.1.103    #server0
> 192.168.1.104    #server1
>
> And these are the only servers that I have.
> You want that I trade the two lines like that

> 192.168.1.104    #server1
> 192.168.1.103    #server0
> ??
>
> I made it in the client and the problem continued...

The database servers vote to see if there is a quorum.
In case of ties, the server with the lowest IP gets the tie
breaker vote. So if only server1 is running, it does not know
the state of server0, and has to assume it is running,
and server0 represents the cell. If server1 goes down,
server0 still represents the cell.

So you would be best with 3 database servers. With
2 servers all you really get is a backup of the database.
server0 must still be running for full operations.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory