[OpenAFS] Re: can neither delete nor use backup volume (DA server 1.6.0pre2)

John Tang Boyland boyland@cs.uwm.edu
Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:00:37 -0500

Andrew Deason wrote:
] On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:18:14 -0500
] John Tang Boyland <boyland@pabst.cs.uwm.edu> wrote:
]
] > NB: FileLog says:
] > Mon Aug 29 13:57:10 2011 FSYNC_com_VolOff: failed to get heavyweight reference to volume 536875958 (state=20, flags=0x18)
]
] 20 is VOL_STATE_DELETED. This issue was fixed in gerrit 4261, ee2811b0,
] in 1.6.0pre4. It affects a lot of things when you move volumes around,
] and then move them back to where they were originally.
]
] We're up to pre7 now, btw, with 1.6.0 imminent. If you want to be
] running prereleases, you really don't want to lag behind in them; there
] are many known issues in the older pres.

Good point.  I'm running the latest openafs-server from Scientific Linux 6.
Hopefully they will release a later RPM soon.

] > admin 87 % vos zap jeremiah a fa11.cs351.backup -force -verbose
] > vos: forcibly removing all traces of volume 536875958, please wait...done.
]
] Also just by the way, 'vos zap -force' is not a very smart tool, and it
] usually doesn't make a lot of sense for non-RW volumes. For RO and BK
] volumes, all it does is remove a few header files without touching any
] of the data, which is not what you want to do.
]
] If you have a troublesome non-RW volume, and 'vos remove/zap' and
] salvaging does not help, my general advice is just to stop right there
] (don't do 'vos zap -force'). Those two should handle every possible
] case, so if they are not handling it then there's a bug. Trying more
] things might make things worse or lose valuable debugging information.

OK.  That's useful for the future.  I'll stay away from zap -force.
(An earlier "zap" had "error 4".)

Even if SL6 releases a later RPM for openafs-server soon, I suppose
the volume is irretrievably broken.  Time to create a new volume,
I guess.  I suppose then I can try to remove/zap the whole RW volume
and maybe get back into a clean state.

Thanks,
John