[OpenAFS] Tips for increasing throughput

Ken Elkabany Ken@Elkabany.com
Wed, 31 Aug 2011 01:07:45 -0700

--20cf301d4272b9c38d04abc8a0a0

Hi,

On a network capable of scp-ing files between machines at 60MB/sec, we are
only able to achieve 2-3MB/sec of throughput when using AFS. We've been
conducting tests on 300MB files, by copying them from the /afs/* mount to
the local filesystem with memcache enabled. In production, we will not be
using memcache, but we wanted to eliminate the overhead of the on-disk cache
manager. We've tried tweaking our options as follows: "-verbose -nosettime
-memcache -chunksize 20 -stat 2800 -daemons 5 -volumes 128". The most
important option is the chunksize, which did not have a measurable effect.
Any other tips?

Thanks!
Ken

--20cf301d4272b9c38d04abc8a0a0

es at 60MB/sec, we are only able to achieve 2-3MB/sec of throughput when us=
ing AFS. We&#39;ve been conducting tests on 300MB files, by copying them fr=
om the /afs/* mount to the local filesystem with memcache enabled. In produ=
ction, we will not be using memcache, but we wanted to eliminate the overhe=
ad of the on-disk cache manager. We&#39;ve tried tweaking our options as fo=
llows: &quot;-verbose -nosettime -memcache -chunksize 20 -stat 2800 -daemon=
s 5 -volumes 128&quot;. The most important option is the chunksize, which d=
id not have a measurable effect. Any other tips?</div>

--20cf301d4272b9c38d04abc8a0a0--