[OpenAFS] Re: 1.6 clients: rx version pings

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:12:22 -0500

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 17:52:14 +0100
> Stephan Wiesand <stephan.wiesand@desy.de> wrote:
>
>> we had seen this during EAKC already: 1.6 clients are supposed to ping
>> file servers once a second, yet they do so at much higher rates. As
>> the number of 1.6 clients is increasing here, this has become a real
>> problem.
>
> If you're talking about the rx nat keepalive ping (they appear as "rx
> version reply" packets on the wire), it's only supposed to be once every
> 20 seconds. I believe there were issues before where that would be done
> for _every_ connection to the fileserver, but I thought it was fixed...
> somewhere (possibly post-1.6.0?). I assume Derrick can answer that
> faster than I can find it.

There's another fix needed. as soon as the code's done i'll push it.

>> Is there any way to prevent the client from doing this? Any way to at
>> least make it forget an old fileserver? Or at least reset the rate to
>> the 1 Hz it should be? Can this be disabled altogether? Supposed I
>> find the place in the code where these pings happen and just remove
>> them, what would be the consequences?
>
> If they are the nat keepalive pings, they're just for keeping port
> mappings open for nats and stateful firewalls and such. There should be
> a way to turn them off, but I don't believe there is right now.

we should be able to disable them for the duration of a server being
marked down (which would cover that)
since once it's marked down, they're clearly not going to help until it's back.

--
Derrick