[OpenAFS] possible microsoft excel 2010 corruption issue on openafs volumes

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 08:47:46 -0500

/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/patch1
fixes the issue
/afs/andrew.cmu.edu/usr/shadow/patch2
fixes some warnings due to unused variables that the first patch didn't rem=
ove

A 1.6.1 release candidate containing these should be available within
the next 24 hours.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 4:36 AM,  <info@probanet.it> wrote:
> Hello!
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 We're experiencing the same issue on a large number=
 of volumes
> (around
> 28000, just finished upgrading fileserver to 1.6.0 in order to use DAFS,
> using Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64). Our volumes doesn't have a .backup, just RW
> + RO (1 cheap-replica and 1 remote replica). Where can we find a patch
> and how should we use it? Thanks for your help! :)
>
> Stefano
> Fabio
>

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 19:23:50 -0500, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> there's an issue in the 1.6.0 fileserver but if you are also having it on
> 1.4.14 that's new
>
> Derrick
>
> On Dec 7, 2011, at 19:19, Jonathan Nilsson <jnilsson@uci.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> We've had some strange file corruption and missing data issues with
> Microsoft Excel 2010 on a Windows 7 OpenAFS 1.5.78 client.
> 1) A user creates an Excel file on their local drive, then copies it to a=
> AFS RW mount point (via mapped network drive).
> 2) several clients read the file (no changes made)
> 3) at some point the file is no longer able to be opened, or it opens but
> warns of corruption and missing data
> When I recover the file from the backup on the day of the file's
> modification timestamp, the restored file is fine. Curiously, the restore=
> file appears identical to the corrupted file: the file size (bytes) and
> timestamp are identical.
> The fileservers housing volumes where this has happened are:
> =A0CentOS 6.0 2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 with OpenAFS 1.6.0
> =A0RHEL 6.1 2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64 with OpenAFS 1.4.14
> We have upgraded the client to OpenAFS 1.7.2 (we did this just before the
> 1.7.3 announcement) hoping to fix the issue if it is a bug...=A0Is there =
any
> known issue with 1.5.78 client that could have caused corruption like thi=
s?
> --
> Jonathan.Nilsson at uci dot edu
> Social Sciences Computing Services