[OpenAFS] UID conflicts

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:46:29 -0500

In message <2586A1048152BE4D861E64A98700AD420548C7BF@nki-mail.NKI.rfmh.org>,"Lewis, Dave" writes:
>These user accounts were created long ago on a server for which the
>system daemon UIDs were < 100.  This is the first system on which we
>have seen such a UID conflict.
>
>We're planning to have more Ubuntu/Debian computers here.  If we want to
>avoid conflicts between UIDs of normal users and system daemons, what's
>the best way to go about it?

a long time ago we decided to start users at 1000 and up.  unfortunately
this would be hindsight for you.

>I can change the Unix UID for a user and then chown all of that user's
>files.  However, the AFS docs say that it is important for the AFS UIDs
>to match the Unix UIDs, and I don't see how to change an AFS UID.

i dont think there is one.  so just delete the user and re-add the user
with the 'right' uid.  you will need to walk your afs tree and change
the user's afs files ownership (and remove the old afs uid from these
files as well).  also, you might want to 'pts membership' the user before
changing his uid since you will also need to remove the user from these
pts groups and reinsert him with the right uid.