[OpenAFS] RE: UID conflicts

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 13:17:47 -0600

> We're planning to have more Ubuntu/Debian computers here.  If we want to
> avoid conflicts between UIDs of normal users and system daemons, what's
> the best way to go about it?

If you're not constrained for uid space by old systems that don't support m=
ore than 32768 uids, move your uid space for all users to >2000. Most (if n=
ot all) Unix-like OSes that are still supported these days guarantee that u=
ids >1024 are never used for system accounts, but >2000 gives you a lot of =
space for that to change over time.=20

Unfortunately, that implies that you'll need to change a LOT of uids, but i=
t's a one-time fix. Others will probably chime in on how to mung the AFS ui=
ds.=20