[OpenAFS] possible microsoft excel 2010 corruption issue on openafs volumes

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:53:18 -0500

--------------enigA58C731A82DEFE324B93F161

On 12/21/2011 9:15 AM, Arthur Prokosch wrote:
> Jonathan, or others who experienced this bug -- have you seen corrupt
> excel files with modification times from before when a volume was
> served by 1.6.0?

In all of the cases I have seen the corruption was triggered by opening
and closing an excel spreadsheet which results in 8 bytes being written
to the spreadsheet header.  The header becomes corrupted with either the
first 1K or 4K of the file being replaced by NULs instead of the actual
header file.  The last modification timestamp is preserved by Excel.

Jeffrey Altman