[OpenAFS] Why DocBook and How to submit documentation changes

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 10:40:07 -0500

--------------enigBC75B2F2B883BB7C6CB29306

On 12/23/2011 12:51 AM, Ted Creedon wrote:
> Its not the docs content, just the formatting and ease of use.

DocBooks is an open format which is supported by a variety of third
party GUI editors.  (I use Oxygen).

DocBooks can be converted to a broad range of formats and the generation
of those formats is integrated into the OpenAFS build system.  These
formats include PDF, Web HTML, Windows HTML Help, mobi, epub, and I'm
probably missing a few.

Submission of updates to the documentation is performed using the same
toolchain as source code patches.

 1. Retrieve the git repository

 2. Edit the documentation

 3. commit the change to your local repository

 4. push the change to OpenAFS Gerrit

 5. the change will then be reviewed and commented on by the community.
    anyone with a google account can be a reviewer.

 6. once approved the gatekeepers will submit it to the repository

See http://wiki.openafs.org/AFSLore/GitDevelopers/ for instructions on
how to submit changes to OpenAFS.

Q. Why didn't OpenAFS simply use the IBM documentation sources?

A. They weren't given to OpenAFS.  OpenAFS was only given exported HTML
by IBM.

Jeffrey Altman