[OpenAFS] recommended UFS parameters for cache partition?

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:51:15 -0600

--20cf307f3b7229d82804b5175e0f

Not necessarily true with on disk caching

Disk heads dont recal after every seek

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011, chas williams - CONTRACTOR <
chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:16:16 -0500 (EST)
> Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:
>

>> (Or should I just not worry about it and assume that any potential
>> improvements would be lost in the noise?)
>
> other than i believe you still cannot use journaling on the caching
> partition, there isnt much to do.
>
> however, as with all disks, the closer to the beginning of the disk
> the faster the filesystem will perform.  this is why people now suggest
> putting swap at the beginning of the disk (ignoring any tiny boot
> partitions you might need).

--20cf307f3b7229d82804b5175e0f

after every seek<br><br>On Tuesday, December 27, 2011, chas williams - CONT=
RACTOR &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil">chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil</=
a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:16:16 -0500 (EST)<br>&gt; Benjamin Kaduk &lt;<a=
tial<br>
&gt;&gt; improvements would be lost in the noise?)<br>&gt;<br>&gt; other th=
an i believe you still cannot use journaling on the caching<br>&gt; partiti=
on, there isnt much to do.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; however, as with all disks, the =
closer to the beginning of the disk<br>
&gt; the faster the filesystem will perform. =A0this is why people now sugg=
est<br>&gt; putting swap at the beginning of the disk (ignoring any tiny bo=
ot<br>&gt; partitions you might need).<br>&gt; ____________________________=